Thursday, March 17, 2011

2009 New Orleans 7

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! This is the final page from my 2009 New Orleans trip. I have no pictures to represent what we did this last day. So I created some punch art for my representation. I’ll include the journaling at the bottom of the post in case you want the full story. But here’s the gist of it:

Rain and a St. Patrick’s Day parade altered our plans for the day. But we definitely found the silver lining to our clouds. I love cupcakes, and we found a wonderful bakery when our streetcar was stuck in traffic. Therefore, I created a rainbow using oval punches. My clouds are the top of the cupcake punch, enlarged. And my “pot of gold” at the end of the rainbow is a cupcake. It’s a fun page to help me fondly remember the day.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for stopping by!


Page Recipe: Stamps- So Happy For You; Paper- Bashful Blue Textured CS, Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Pacific Point, Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Whisper White, Garden Green; Ink- Basic Black; Accessories- Cupcake Punch, Oval Punch, Circle Punch, Curly Label Punch; Fonts- CK Journaling

Additional background for part of my journaling: I’m legally blind. That’s why Alice tells me what to what out for, and why the uneven pavement is an issue.

As we're goofing around the French Quarter, it starts raining. So we decided to take the St. Charles Streetcar to the Garden District and wander around there. The rain continued off and on. And we didn't know a St. Patrick's Day Parade was scheduled for Noon that day in the Garden District. Then, as we're riding along, Alice noticed a sign that read, "…and Cupcakes Too". A few blocks later, our Streetcar got stuck in traffic. So we hopped off and headed back to that shop. CUPCAKES? We had to check it out.

The Luck of the Irish was with us that day. We found "Pralines by Jeanne…and Cupcakes Too". The selection was pretty picked over, but Jeanne described the Pralines and Creole Cream Cheese cupcakes to us.

"Delicious praline debris baked into vanilla cake with creole cream cheese frosting and pralined pecan on top."

We each bought one cupcake and left the shop. We ate the cupcakes on the porch. Then we looked at each other and said, "How many more are we going to get?!" We went back inside the shop and bought a half dozen cupcakes -- for later that night, you know.

Then we headed back to our hotel. The Streetcars were still stuck in traffic, so we decided to just walk the 2 miles back to our hotel, and Alice carried the cupcakes. Then it starts raining hard, and Alice has to protect the cupcakes. I kept asking her if she wanted me to carry the cupcakes, she looked very uncomfortable. But she always said no, that she was ok. I found out later why she wouldn't let me carry the cupcakes.

We were telling Janet about this part of our trip. And Alice finally said, "I couldn't let Gwen carry the cupcakes. What if she fell? Our cupcakes would be ruined!" The weather was bad, the pavement was very uneven, and Alice was having a hard enough time telling me what to watch out for. She couldn't worry about me dropping the cupcakes, too! We all agreed Alice did the right thing. The CUPCAKES were the most important responsibility :-)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...